Time

My little five-year-old looked sad the other day, sitting by herself. When I asked her what was wrong, she asked me, “Mom, why hasn’t anyone asked me to marry him yet?”

So much seems to remind me lately that time is precious, and it is going so fast.

I threw a rollicking surprise birthday party for Matt last weekend, to celebrate the final year of his carefree youth. :) There were 47 people there, and it was marvelous, complete with Matt trivia, Matt Jeopardy, and Matt-libs. As we lay awake in bed that night, talking about the party, we realized we had met each other before we were even 19. Where does the time go?

My girls are getting older by the day. They love being children, but as we all do as young ones, they ache for their own future, their own love, their own little ones. They long to marry and become mothers. They love to dance and dream.

And while watching them makes me smile, my own heart aches just a little. I love to watch them grow, but as I see how fast it is going, I long to say,

“Not yet, my little Loves. Not yet.”

1. Rebecca

Oh, that video was so lovely. I agree–they grow too fast!

January 30, 2010 at 1:14 am

2. Alison

Hope Matt had a happy birthday!! What an adorable comment from your sweet daughter!

January 30, 2010 at 2:09 am

3. c h a n t i l e

Aww, I love that song! That made me happy. :) Somewhat not/related, but here I go with Rod McKuen again… Something I shared with a friend a week or two ago:"I knowthat love is worth the time it takes to find…I know your smileand it is much too warm to waste on people in the street(though smiles are plentiful)andI knowthat if you keep the empty heart alive a little longerlove will come.It always does,maybe just at the last moment, but it will comeyou must believe thator else there isn't any reason to be twenty-seven."It always made me feel better; I turned 27 last year, and it was one of the happiest I've ever had. :)I love your girls. I love you!! :)

January 30, 2010 at 4:17 am

4. Jessie Mae

I love them! I can't believe how big they are.

January 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm

5. Krista

Ack! I finally worked up the courage to watch it, and I didn't last 10 seconds w/o tears, LOL… *sniffle* Definitely "not yet." :)

January 31, 2010 at 10:11 pm

6. Debra Domenici

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! We hope that Matt had a very happy birthday! We love and miss you all!

February 14, 2010 at 6:15 am

Yes, sometimes I wish I could freeze moments so they will last forever. And other times I want to fast forward… like when they are in the throes of stomach flu… lol :)

March 1, 2010 at 3:33 am