Home.

The decision to move here was a big one.

Most people think we are crazy, but I don’t care.  It’s hard to remember a time when I’ve felt that something is more right than this is.

(Mornings on the porch in our jammies.)

I find my heart leaping with joy at each new thing.  Adjusting to a small, older kitchen.  Finding each little unusual nook and cranny in the cabin.  Listening to the creak of the old floor as I walk across it.

Everything feels so, so right.

(Enjoying hot cocoa on the porch during a quiet rain shower, listening to mom read a mystery.)

The girls have been through every inch of the cabin, discovering its secrets.

(Watching the geese in the river first thing when we get out of bed.)

The rightness makes me so happy that I cannot keep the tears from my eyes.

The girls are happy and at peace.

Everything is slower here.  Devices are turned off most of the time.  Things are quiet.

Each day we learn something new about adjusting to a more rugged life.  Each day we learn something new about ourselves.

(This was taken not long before we capsized our canoe, ha ha!  It was the funnest thing that’s happened to me in a long time.  We will leave the camera in rice for another week or so and see if it agrees with me.)

I feel like I have come home.

1. Teresa

Words cannot express how pleased I am that you feel as you do — we’ll just have to say that the tears streaming down my face are remnants of the shampoo I got in my eye, earlier. ;)
    Would that *all* the world could feel that “at home” feeling along with you…

September 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm

• Ann

Thank you, mom! Love you!!

September 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm

2. Jessie

I do not think you are crazy! I think you are a genius, and you are doing exactly what I have wanted to do for years. Something Adam and I have dreamed and talked about since before I can remember. So happy for you to be able to live your dream. Love you!

September 13, 2013 at 11:12 pm

3. Nice to see we all have the same since of values and can go away from this “world” and all those unneccessary “requirements” – kinda like our “Temple” trips – except you can LIVE IT – instead of having to go back outside into that “lone and dreary world”. Congratulations on your choice of lives – your “story book” tells a lot about family and where it sets you standards for life — the rest of your life. :). Love to you and yours….G’pa

September 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

4. Debbie Domenici

You are absolutely not crazy. You are living the dream! You are living the life that Nellis and i have always wanted and dreamed for ourselves. Someday I hope we can make that dream come true for us and our family also. Enjoy living the dream! Love you guys!

September 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm

5. Rachel B.

I think this all looks so incredibly cozy and perfect!! Seriously. I absolutely LOVE that you did this (other than the fact that we miss your family)! Way to follow your heart. I think we all could learn a lesson from you.

September 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

6. Liesel

I so enjoy seeing pictures and stories from one of my favorite places. Now I can feel connected all year long. Brrrr…capsized in 53 degree water! That will wake you up. If you get the opportunity I recommend trying kayaks because they don’t tip easily and are more manuverable. I feel “one with the water” when I use them. It looks like your cabin overlooks the water, how calming to wake up and see that each day. I don’t think you are crazy at all for taking the opportunity to live in and explore new places with Matt having the ability to work anywhere. I am in LOVE with the place you moved to. Honestly, I’m a fair weather girl and would not want to live there during the winter. However, I think your family will have a unique experience, are heartier than I, and I look forward to seeing what it looks like in the winter.

September 23, 2013 at 1:40 am