Growth

I’m trying to grow out my hair.

Sigh.

It’s at a very awkward, and dare we say…extremely unattractive?? phase. Not much seems to be helping, in spite of the cute barrettes my sweetie bought me.

Sigh.

I gave a talk in church yesterday, and so of course the hair was sadder than usual because I tried harder than usual with it. And of course, as I looked out over the congregation, I saw so many cute ladies with very very cute short hair.

It’s so tempting to stop growing it and just go back to short hair.

The short look was easy, and it was comfortable, and I know I could have easily kept cutting it. But I grew tired of the stage it was at and wanted it to grow. I have a goal in mind of the look I want…

It’s just going to take some time and lots of awkward and unpleasant hair days. I’m hopeful the end result will be worth it, though.

I find that I am going through much the same in my life right now…choosing to grow. I could easily have stayed where I was at and lived a pretty happy life, but wanted to grow. Now I find myself in that awkward, painful stage, where all I want to do is turn back. It would be so easy to do so and to forget this painful growth stage. But would I truly have the result I want in the end?

No. I have a goal in mind…

It’s just going to take a lifetime of growth and probably lots of painful growing moments. But I know the end result will be worth it.

1. The Hughes'

I totally know what you mean with the hair thing, cause I am doing the same thing. I have always wanted to donate to Locks for Love! I decided now is the time! It’s worse too cause Tom prefers it short! Oh, well! Some days I’m excited and some days I just want to be done with it! Keep it up!

December 30, 2008 at 5:19 am

2. The Hughes'

December 30, 2008 at 5:19 am

3. Annie Sunshine

Growth is always hard, whether it is hair or our spirits. Keep it up, it is bound to get to an “easy” length again…and sometimes progress means cutting back again…you never know.

December 30, 2008 at 6:11 am

4. Annie Sunshine

December 30, 2008 at 6:11 am

5. Chani

I love how you can find meaning in everything. It’s very inspiring :)

December 30, 2008 at 4:24 pm

6. Chani

I love how you can find meaning in everything. It’s very inspiring :)

December 30, 2008 at 4:24 pm

7. Kirk

Aside from the spiritual analogy, and how appropos (sp?) that is for everyone, this raises the question in my mind, what is your goal?? Curiosity, curiosity! Hang in there!Love, Mom

December 30, 2008 at 5:45 pm

8. Kirk

December 30, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Hmm… I wonder whether you could play around with foam curlers yet? :-) I wanted to do that while mine was short(er), but never got around to it before my hair was too long again, and I don’t mind living vicariously, LOL! ;-)Anyway, though, thanks so much for sharing the wonderful thoughts! And for what it’s worth, I think your hair *is* cute right now :-)

December 30, 2008 at 8:34 pm

December 30, 2008 at 8:34 pm

11. Libby Olenslager

I’m sure your hair is beautifully beautiful!! :)

December 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm

12. Libby Olenslager

I’m sure your hair is beautifully beautiful!! :)

December 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm

13. Jason Calton

Maybe that’s why it always seems to hurt when we try to learn something new. I am so thankful for you and your family. Love ya and miss ya.

December 31, 2008 at 1:30 am

14. Jason Calton

December 31, 2008 at 1:30 am

15. Nicole

you can do it!!!! i remember how gorgeously long and red it was in college. how fun that would be!

January 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm

16. Nicole

January 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Are you growing it as long as our college days???? I’ve been trying to grow my hair out for year and it’s still the same length. Every time I go in for a trim I come out with it shorter than the original. I’m going to sigh with you.Sigh.

January 9, 2009 at 6:47 am