In case you wonder if they’re actually listening…

…they are.

I really needed this today! I got up this morning and felt a bit overwhelmed by the day ahead. Another school day with so many things trying to cut into it, and tired kids. The same thoughts pass through the mind of every parent, homeschooling or not: “Are they actually getting any of what I’m trying to teach them???” I was tempted to think, “Nope.”

This morning while I was making breakfast, I heard some quiet, calm talking coming from our usually energetic 4-year-old. I peered over the counter into the living room to see her instructing her sisters in a yoga lesson! I couldn’t believe it. There are times in teaching her things that I have struggled to feel like she was really getting what I was trying to do. She is very smart and quick, but she is so much like her mother…INDEPENDENT. :) So I have worried that she really wasn’t learning anything from me. But I was stunned to watch her teaching her sisters very clearly, even instructing them to change what they were doing here and there!

So let’s keep going! Keep teaching, keep trying, keep setting an example. They really ARE paying attention!! And they really do learn from everything you do. :)

PS – I just had to grab the camera to document for myself that I really am doing something good. :) But my 4-year-old turned to me and patiently said, “Mommy, could you please stop taking pictures of our yoga lesson? We’re trying to focus.” :D

1. Elaine

If you want to know what you are like, you don’t have to look into a mirror, just quietly watch your children play.

January 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm

2. Elaine

January 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Laughing. Out. LOUD!!! :-) “We’re trying to focus!”What a smart cutie!!! And how WONDERFUL that you’ve so effectively taught them patience – great job, and great job to your *little* women, too!!! :-)

January 9, 2009 at 11:49 pm

January 9, 2009 at 11:49 pm

5. Jason Calton

I am always amazed at the ability a child has to copy us parents! Just today I made a grave error… I opened the -use to be- secure garbage can in front of Chase (1yr) who then made a lovely mess for me only moments later! Gotta Love ’em .

January 10, 2009 at 4:25 am

6. Jason Calton

January 10, 2009 at 4:25 am

7. Matthew Richmond

Cute pictures! I’m glad they’re learning from you; I can’t think of anyone better. I Love you baby!

January 10, 2009 at 6:02 am

8. Matthew Richmond

January 10, 2009 at 6:02 am

9. Nicole

that’s awesome!!!!!! i have to say, caroline and (kinda johanna) have been trying to do the yoga for pregnancy with me. it is so fun when they are involved. especially because they’re distracted enough to LET me do it!

January 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm

10. Nicole

January 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm

11. The Hughes'

How cute!

January 12, 2009 at 2:22 am

12. The Hughes'

How cute!

January 12, 2009 at 2:22 am

hahahahahahhahaha that last sentence was classic! That is so dang cute! Looks like she knows exactly what she’s doing… must have had a good teacher! Hey, how come we never did yoga together in college?

January 13, 2009 at 6:27 am