Thankful Therapy

I have really been struggling lately with trying to push away a discouragement, and a depression that seems to hang in the air, just waiting to cover me. I think a lot of us feel that way in the winter, and lately with everything else going on, it seems to be harder to keep at bay.

So I have done two things in addition to the daily things that help so much, prayer, scriptures, being with my girls, etc.

1) Yoga. I have found joy in reaching further.

2) What I am calling “Thankful Therapy.” I have had little projects I have wanted to do, but because of a hard drive issue that is taking forever to resolve with customer supports, etc, I can’t work on them right now! So in my rare free time, I have found myself being anxious and antsy, not being able to find something to focus my energy on. I have continually had a prompting to do some scrapbooking.

I have resisted that feeling, because I felt that I didn’t have the energy to organize and pick a place to start, etc. But I kept feeling that prompting, and so I have just started doing random pictures, random pages, without any rhyme or reason to the order.

It has been miraculous for me. It has blessed me to see and remember tiny, quiet moments in my life…such a full life that at times can seem so overwhelming and difficult. But opening the door to these quiet little memories has helped me to remember, truly, “how merciful the Lord hath been.”

I just open our picture folders and pick one at random, and start a new page. With each little picture, I find myself saying “Thank you” again and again to the loving Father who gave me these children, this life, these memories, and this prompting to remember. It has lifted my heart and made me rejoice. It gives me perspective and helps me to remember all of the times that things have worked out before. They will work out again.

In the meantime, I can remember and be thankful.

1. Kirk

Dearest Ann,You are blessed with so many talents and such a great family — I am *so* glad you’ve begun scrapbooking! And digital keeps from having to drag out a zillion things, hope you don’t run out of something crucial, and then have to spend time putting things back away “in a safe place.” I love to see your artistic side at work, not to mention the subjects, themselves!! :)Keep it up!Love, Mom R

January 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

2. Kirk

January 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

3. Kirk

January 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

4. Kirk

January 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

5. Ann

Mom,I’m just so glad you inspired me to actually try it! I never thought I’d enjoy it so much! :)Love,Ann

January 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm

6. Ann

January 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm

7. Annie Sunshine

I love it. That’s what I will tell my children I am doing next time I am scrapbooking, because it truly is thankful therapy for me also. No wonder it is such a popular pasttime…it brings thankfulness and smiles.

January 22, 2009 at 1:00 am

8. Annie Sunshine

January 22, 2009 at 1:00 am

9. Chantile

Wow! look how awesome you are!!! You’ve got talents up the wazoo! Those look SO amazing! :) What program is that?

January 27, 2009 at 4:51 pm

10. Chantile

January 27, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I like “thankful therapy.” It is soooo easy to become depressed in the winter. I’m constantly trying to find things to lift me up and to get my focus on positive things. Everyone needs a little “thankful therapy” in their lives!

February 7, 2009 at 5:45 am