A few school funnies from election week…

You have to love the sweet simplicity of a child’s mind.

This week, being election week, we had a big focus on the president of the United States and the election process, complete with some basic history of Presidents, going over some basic issues, and voting.

In the process of teaching my girls to begin to try to decide what they believe and what they feel is right, and what they should do about that, I taught them some of the basic opposing issues of the parties, including abortion, same-sex marriage, health care, etc. (All at a first-grade level, of course.) :) Here are a few quotes from this week’s schoolroom and dinner table conversation:

Mom: Girls should never marry girls, right?
3-year-old: Right.
Mom: And who should boys marry?
3-year-old: Girls.
Mom: Right. And girls should marry…?
3-year-old: Daddies.
Mom: You mean boys?
3-year-old: No. I mean daddies.

——

(Following a tiny discussion of JFK, who was featured in our Presidents game)

5-year-old: Why did someone shoot him?
Mom: I guess because they didn’t like him.
5-year-old: Well that’s not nice. Shooting is bad.
Mom: No, it’s not nice, is it?
5-year-old: Jesus wouldn’t shoot someone. He would say, “Use your words and talk if you don’t like someone.”

——-

(Election night, while watching the news and coloring in her state-by-state map with red and blue)

5-year-old: Mom, I think I don’t want to keep coloring the blue ones. If I do, Obama might win.

——-

(Today at lunch, reviewing the election and who won.)

5-year-old: I’m a little bit sad the blue guy (Obama) won. He’s not who I picked.
Mom: I know, but he got more votes in the whole country than McCain did. So he won! So, even though President Obama doesn’t believe a lot of the same things we believe, we still be respectful of him because he is our President now. It’s important to be respectful.
5-year-old: Oh, I will! I’ll be very kind and respectful. When he comes over, I’ll say, “Even though you’re not nice because you think it’s okay for mommies to kill babies, I’ll be nice. You can sit by me and be my friend!”

1. Libby Olenslager

Wow. You’re little girls sound sooooo hilarious! I love the comment about how Jesus wouldn’t shoot anyone, and how Obama can come sit with her and her friends! They sound so sweet! :)

November 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm

2. Libby Olenslager

November 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm

3. Annie Sunshine

It is so important to teach our children tolerance and love at a young age while at the same time teaching them to choose the right. It sounds like you are striking a good balance. Good job.

November 6, 2008 at 5:32 am

4. Annie Sunshine

November 6, 2008 at 5:32 am

Oh man!!! I’d stop coloring blue states, too, LOL!!! ;-) And how sweet – “you can sit by me and be my friend…” it breaks my heart and warms my heart all at the same time, and it’s hilarious, too. (And keep the “daddies” thing going for #2 – it’ll help her look for real men, LOL…I think that’s what she means, right? ;-)In a way, it’s so sad that our kids are already having to learn these things… but I guess that if we teach them with the future in mind, maybe they won’t have their foundations rocked when they run into full-blown “silliness” later. I hope.Incidentally, we got a Fortune magazine with Hank Paulson on the cover a few weeks back; Kiddo took one look and said, “Bad guy.” (In fairness, he did have this sinister board-room vibe going in the photo…) I thought about it for a minute and said, “yes, yes he IS a bad man. A very bad man,” and explained simply to him why. It was an interesting moment! :-)

November 6, 2008 at 6:19 am

November 6, 2008 at 6:19 am

7. chantilita

How you can tell these are Ann’s children–“Use your words!” :) My favorite! So simple, so effective! lolI miss those girls! They have a lot they could teach the country, let alone the world! And holy cow, Kannie–your kid knew who Henry Paulson is? LOL I am impressed!!

November 6, 2008 at 2:58 pm

8. chantilita

November 6, 2008 at 2:58 pm

9. Nicole

i LOVED those stories!

November 7, 2008 at 1:17 am

10. Nicole

i LOVED those stories!

November 7, 2008 at 1:17 am

Lol :) I love your funny girls!

November 21, 2008 at 7:18 am

Lol :) I love your funny girls!

November 21, 2008 at 7:18 am