The teeth are worth it.

So you probably remember all of my posts about my angel baby.  The one who is so peaceful and who comforts us all.

She’s been teething.

Teething is rough on all babies, and all of their mothers.  But among my five children I have had a couple who seemed to fare worse than the others, and whose misery seemed amplified.  Nothing seems to help.

This is one of those children.

She has cried day and night for weeks.  Ear infections haven’t helped.

There are times when she looks up at me with eyes that once knew no sorrow.  Those eyes seem to say, “You never told me it would hurt like this.”

In those times, all I can do is hold her with sorrow in my own heart for her pain.  One night, in sadness, I whispered, “I promise sweetie, the teeth are worth it.”

As I have gone through the weighty trials in my own life of late, I can’t help but feel like a little child in pain at times.  But yesterday, as I once again held my wee one, I could feel my own comfort from a loving Father, saying, “I promise, the life is worth it.”

Painful times try us and stretch us.  They make us wonder if any of it is worth it.

But I look into those little eyes and I know.

The teeth are worth it.

(PS – The first tooth is finally in!)

(PPS – I’d love it if you checked out the Sleepy Time Gal’s blog today.)

1. I love the way your heart and mind work: everything is a miracle, everything has more to say that what we think we hear. That’s what makes you amazing. :) It’s a gift.

(Also, is she in a light box? that’s awesome :) lol)

November 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

2. Those pictures are so sweet. I’m sorry for you both about the pain involved in teething. It won’t last forever, right?

November 30, 2010 at 10:28 am

3. Jessie Richens

What a beauty! We are teething ourselves this week! Good luck to you! Hope you can catch some sleep now and again.

November 30, 2010 at 4:25 pm

4. I love the pictures and I did visited thesleepytimegal.com and that’s why I am here. I am sure you are going through a rough patch… Keep up the good work… I hope your little one feels better soon I know Jicama fruit works well on teething, frozen bagels, and a lot of cold teething rings… I went through this with my little one… you will get through…

November 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm

5. ditto to what everyone said… beautiful photos! where did you shoot them? and the teeth… THE TEETH! good luck dear ann. she feels your ove and comfort.

December 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm

• I have a light tent that I put her in. :) Shameless, I know. :)

December 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm

6. Debbie Domenici

She is absolutely beautiful and you are right her eyes (and the eyes of all of your girls) just absorb you. Oh, the joys of teething!

April 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm